About Piapot First Nation
Chief Piapot (Payepwat) signed an adhesion to Treaty 4 on September 9, 1875, originally seeking a reserve in the Cypress Hills region. After much persuasion he reluctantly moved to what was to be his original reserve (which is now known as Carry the Kettle) in August of 1883. After a disastrous winter in which 1/3 of his people died, it confirmed his reluctance to live there and he abandoned that reserve. In September 1884 he moved to an area 29 km north and 11 km east of Regina where Piapot First Nation is today.